Tuesday, May 26, 2009

All gone!

I arrived at HDGH yesterday at 7:00 am to register and the procedure to remove my port was scheduled for 9:00 am. I was happy to hear that I would not need an intravenous lock put in as they would not be sedating me and that it would just be a local freezing. I had my vitals taken, BP, HR, temperature and blood work as standard procedure.

Around 9:00 am they wheeled me down to the radiology OR area and the procedure started around 9:15am. I was brought into one of the rooms and remained on the bed and they performed the procedure right there. The worst part was the freezing as it burned quite a bit and the fact that you are awake and alert for all of it,. There was lots of pulling and tugging which felt really weird and everything was going fine until the doctor stated that he poked himself with the needle while sewing me up. Great! So, he changed the needle and his gloves as it went through and then continued with the procedure. I was in recovery for about an hour and then I had to have more blood work drawn due to the incident. After all was said and done I was free to go home. I came home and slept for 3 hours and then got ready for my radiation appointment.

Everything is going well so far with radiation from my side of things, I was to have an appointment with Dr. Schneider but he had a teleconference so it was cancelled, therefore I will see him next week. The rest of my day was spent relaxing on the couch watching movies!

I am happy to say that I am excited to have my port out, it feels weird to not be able to feel it anymore. I asked to keep it but they stated that I couldn't, they even tried to find me an extra one but they didn't have any. Also, my nagging cough that I had following my chemo treatments has disappeared which I am also happy about. I have been tired lately and exhausted after treatments, but again I am not sure if it is due to my lack of sleep at night or the treatments.

Things are going well!


No comments:

Post a Comment