Tuesday, April 20, 2010

February 2010

Sorry this is a long and crazy one!

February 4th, 2010
In the mix of all of this I was scheduled for my yearly routine check-ups .... bone scan, abdominal ultrasound and another chest x-ray, all came back normal though there was something showing on my 7th rib. They have chalked this up to being a possible rib fracture since it was on my right side where all my work and radiation have been and also from all the coughing fits I have been having after each thoracentesis.

February 8th, 2010
Sasha: "Atti I can't breath again" .... Atti: "Do we need to go to emerg" .... Sasha: "Yes, I believe so".  Sure enough my lung filled with water again and I had another thoracentesis performed producing 1500 ml from my right lung. Coughing fit .... not as bad ...... pain meds ...... just as great! I was very pleased that each time I ended up in emerg at WRH Dr. Nesbitt was my doctor. He was very kind, sensitive, and tried his best to not make the procedure hurt as best you can when you have a long ass needle and tube going through your rib cage into your lung. I wanted him to perform it every time I needed it but that wasn't the case.

February 12th, 2010
In the meantime after having 3 thoracentesis performed I was referred to a thoracic surgeon and also needed a CT scan.

February 16th, 2010
Off to London for a follow-up appointment re: my '06 ovarian cancer diagnosis. My oncologist stated that they are more than positive that my pleural effusions are not linked in anyway to my ovarian diagnosis and that from their side everything was good.

February 17th, 2010
Sitting at Dr. Caughlin's office waiting for him to open ..... 30 mins later called and received his paging service which stated they were closed and that I should be at the outpatient clinic at HDGH (why did no one tell me this?). Anyways ..... he had my CT but it hadn't been read therefore, he asked me if I wanted to know what it said. Sure ..... "well, the cancer has come back and it is on and in your lung." Awwhaaawwahhh aaaawwhahhhhhwwwwaaahh! That is all I heard and boom, there went the waterfalls! Everyone in the room just stood there and looked like statues, Dr. Couglin, his nurse and Atti. I didn't know what to say, what to do, where to look or what to think, everything was a blur. Then .... Dr. Wilson knocked on the door. For those of you who do not know Dr. Wilson, he is like Atti's dad here and Atti, the son he never had and was our best man at our wedding, so he is like another papa to me too! He has been helping us out tremendously throughout all of this with appointments, helping understand test results better, giving us support and the 411. As soon as I saw him I started crying even more ..... he knew of the appointment and wanted to be their to support us.

After all of this settled Dr. Coughlin performed my 4th thoracentesis and after two attempts was able to drain another 1000ml. He gave me my options at this time which were .... come in every week for a thoracentesis, or have a pleurodesis performed to glue the lining of my lung to my lung. At that point I was so overwhelmed that I chose to come in every week to have a damn needle and tube shoved into my back to have it drained.

February 19th, 2010
Met with Dr. Alam who stated that her and the board are 95% positive that the cancer has come back. Sasha - "Ok .... when do I start chemo?"

February 22nd, 2010
Met with Dr. Alam again to go over my chemo regimen which will consist of X amount of treatments but probably 4-6 of carbo/taxol. Dr. Alam also stated that the chemo should solve the problem of the pleural effusion.

February 24th, 2010
Thoracentesis #5? NOPE! ..... there was not enough fluid build up as it had only been a week. I stated to him that of course there will not be enough as it has always taken 1 1/2wks - 2wks to build up. Dr. Couglin "Ok ... see you in two more weeks! In the meantime if it starts to build up call or go to emerg. Since you have made your decision to have chemo then we are not going to perform the pleurodesis". Therefore, that would mean that I am not getting a biopsy done either. My head was all mixed up because I had my oncologist saying the chemo would work and my thoracic surgeon saying it wouldn’t and only a pleurodesis would work. What now???

February 25th, 2010
8:00 am chemo #1 - consisted of the following: saline flush, benedryl, saline flush, dexamethasone (steroids), saline flush, taxol administered over 3-4 hrs, saline flush, carboplatinum administered over 30-40 mins, saline flush ..... 4:00 pm - home!

February 26th, 2010
2:00 pm - back to the clinic for my shots. First shot - Neulasta to increase my white blood cell counts, second shot - Zoladex to suppress my ovary.

February 28th, 2010

CAN'T BREATH!

to be continued .....


No comments:

Post a Comment