Monday, April 12, 2010

January 2010

Monday January 11th, 2010
First day back to work after our trip to Tampa and my first priority is to get on the phone to my oncologist who you guessed it is on vacation. Therefore, next option ... family MD and since I work in the hospital lets get a quick chest x-ray. I am able to get into my family MD late that night and she thinks that it is possibly an pneumonia. OK, take some antibiotics and contact the office in a couple days, easy enough!

Tuesday January 12th, 2010
Informed by family MD that I have fluid accumulation between my lung and the lining aka pleural effusion. It is decided that a thoracentesis will be booked in a week to drain the fluid.

Thursday January 14th, 2010
Booked for a V/Q scan of my lungs to rule out a possible pulmonary embolism ..... no PE! Also, decided to do another chest x-ray to see how the fluid was doing. Driving home praying that everything is ok, my family MD phones and states that the fluid has doubled and that I should not wait till Monday to be drained as by then I am going to have an even harder time breathing as I was already very short of breath. We decided to head home, drop our belongings off and head back to the hospital to emerg where long story short ...... they stuck a needle and tube into my back through my rib cage and proceeded to drain 1800ml of fluid from my right lung which then lead to a massive coughing attack lasting 1hr, which then lead to some really good drugs for the pain and an amazing nights sleep!

Monday January 18th, 2010
Happy 33rd b-day to me!!

Thursday January 21st, 2010
Had another chest x-ray showing that the fluid has come back and they need to drain it properly by ultrasound to make sure they get as much as possible.

Friday January 29th, 2010
Ultrasound guided thoracentesis in diagnostic imaging resulting in 1500 ml drained from my right lung and another coughing fit (this is normal as the lung tries to expand and work again) that I tried to cut short as it seemed that I was annoying people in the area.

Though we were able to put January behind ..... I was still not able to breath!

What was going on??

No comments:

Post a Comment