Friday, May 7, 2010

April 2010 cont...

This post has taken me some time to get to only because my brain has not been functioning like it used to .... chemo brain!  I finally decided that is it, and whatever and however it comes out it comes out!!

April 13th, 2010
What is naturopath?  Well ..... the focus is on the mind body connection, reducing stress, and trying to enhance the body's own natural healing ability with integrative modalities.  It's the bodies attempt to heal itself, to attend to underlying issues and the signs that indicate the body needs balancing.  

Never once have I ever thought that Eastern and Western medicine could not work together but.... have I ever really tried it myself.  I dabbled into reflexology, healing touch, yoga and meditation randomly throughout the years but this was the first time I was going to integrate a variety of modalities.   

I have only been following this path for ~ 1 mth so I wish to not fully discuss what I am taking in addition to my chemotherapy treatments till a later date.  Do I feel that integrating both naturopath techniques and chemotherapy are helping me, most definitely, I truly believe.  I have become very interested in integrating these substances and since have been feeling pretty good after treatments.  I have not had to take my Neulasta shot because my blood count is staying up, therefore lots and lots less bone pain and that overall yukkiness feeling.  Instead of being out for ~10 days, I am able to start coming around on the 5-6th.  This discovery of my Neulasta shot was on my own .... I was also on it last year through treatments and felt like utter crap as well but this time around it was even worse and only after the second treatment.  My body just kept telling me that it had something to do with the shot ... most people they stated adjust to the shot but my body was not.  Listening to your body is so important and I am thankful that I did .... this is also why my interest has spiked even more for learning about helping to heal myself also. 

Till a later date ...... I will discuss my daily routine that works for me!

April 14th, 2010
Routine blood work.

April 16th, 2010
Morning event:
Trip to HDGH for suture removal from my port - piece of cake (really cool scare).  Courtesy drive by my friend Amy Poisson ... it's different asking for help for people to take you around, especially when I don't feel comfortable driving especially the 1st week or 1 1/2 weeks following treatment.

Afternoon event: my own little fashion show with Amy Poisson to figure out what I was going to wear for this evenings event.  For most people this would not be exhausting ... for me ... it was :)  Thanks Amy for the workout!

Evening event:
Windsor - Essex Cardiac Wellness Centre's annual fashion show and silent auction.  I was ecstatic to be able to go this year .... last year I was going through treatments as well but still had the chance to strut myself a couple times down the runway.  This year, it was a week after treatments and I didn't know how I would be feeling ... who am I kidding, I would have been there no matter what! 

It was an overwhelming evening seeing all the participants, co-workers and friends and it was about to become even more overwhelming when it was time to present the Lumley Award.  This was my first time ever seeing this award presented as I was always running the models behind the scenes.  

The Cardiac Wellness Centre initiated a very special award to recognize the efforts of former participant and graduate of the CWC, Mr. Tim Lumley who was the catalyst behind this great event and has become a fixture of volunteerism for the Centre. The Lumley Award recognizes volunteer excellence toward the Cardiac Wellness Centre.

As I sat there kind of listening I noticed that Tim was looking at me and there was some camera guy directly across from me on the other side of the stage.  I started chatting and asking anyone if they knew who it was when I heard " She has volunteered for all of “Path to a Better Heart” 5K Run/Walks even when they were on Sunday mornings after a hard night on the dance floor the night before."  I looked up and I think I finally realized they were talking about me!!!  Of course I started crying .... "While all those efforts cannot go unnoticed, it has been her mantra to go that extra mile with all the participants that she has had the privilege to help along the way. She is truly a caring individual who has always put the participants first and has encouraged so many to stay positive and improve their health when times are tough. It is this attitude that has allowed her face head-on her own battles and inspire family and friends that surround her. Ladies and Gentlemen, this year’s Lumley Award Winner, Ms. Sasha Fulop!"

Again ..... it was such an overwhelming night to begin with and this made it even more overwhelming ... it took me awhile to stop crying and come up with a thank you but I managed to pull it off!  Again words cannot express the honour and privilege to have received this award and to work for this program ... I truly love it!  Thank you Jason!! 

April 21st, 2010
Routine blood work, trip to Dr. Yee to touch base as she has been a great help and awesome throughout all of this.

Then a visit to my personal photographers studio as I decided to continue where my professional album ended last year ..... the bald shots!

April 23rd, 2010
Zoladex shot to suppress my ovary .... this time they only had to freeze my stomach once before they injected the seed.

April 24th, 2010
Sheldon's b-day celebration!

April 27th, 2010
Time to treat myself and loosen up all of these kinks in my back and shoulders ... massage time!

No comments:

Post a Comment