Thursday, July 15, 2010

June 2010

June was filled with many scans, appointments and activities and the best way to start it off is always with a massage!

June 8th, 2010

Follow-up appointment with Dr. Alam prior to #6 chemo and blood work.  Was informed that I would be scheduled for a bone scan, and CT scans of my head, chest, abdomen and pelvic.

June 10th, 2010

Time for #6!  I can feel these chemos starting to take a toll on my body and I am feeling very toxic lately.  For some reason my treatments started late due to a computer issue and getting my orders from the pharmacy so I was about 90 mins behind.  I have discovered over this journey that my body can become pretty sensitive and in order to get back on track with the day my pre-chemo drugs of Zantac, Dexamethasone and Benydral were administered a little faster ~ 25-30 mins instead of an hour.  To say the least this didn't sit too well in my body and I was feeling very nauseated.  Nothing more drugs couldn't fix!  We came home immediately and I kicked off my shoes, walked to the bed and passed out for the next 4 hours.

June 11th - 13th, 2010

This treatment has taken its toll on me and I have spent the past few days in bed trying to recover .... not going so well.  Everything hurts, I am nauseated, not interested in food or can't find anything to satisfy my hunger and when I do have it, it is either nothing that I want or the nasty aftertaste kills everything.  

June 14th, 2010

Bone scan day .... inject me with radioactive dye (YEAH - more crap going into my body), come back in 3 hours for the x-rays.

June 15th, 2010

Not one CT scan but 4 .... even more YEAH!!!  I had to drink barium sulphate last night and a container prior to my scans.  Just the thought of it or seeing someone else drink it makes me gag!  After 4 years of being in and out of the hospital I have to mark this day down as the first day I have had a bad association with the hospital and feeling nauseated and just fed up!!!!  I managed to get the barium sulphate down, next was them inserting my lock in my arm which again as soon as they did it I could taste the metallic taste in my mouth from the dye they inject.  Next, wait patiently for my scans, get hooked up, say my prayers while the scans are going on, inject the dye, instant metallic taste (it's like putting a handful of pennies in your mouth and swishing them around), then the peeing warm feeling the courses through your body ... you don't actually pee yourself but this is the sensation and my first time around last year I was convinced I did but I was safe.

June 16th, 2010

Met with my naturopath Dr. Marier to review my progress and how things have been going.  From the alternative side of things everything was going well, though we discussed my issues of feeling like my blood was toxic and decided our next step was to "drain" me.  I was placed on some more homeopathy remedies that would act as a drainage system and help my start clearing out all of these toxins.  As well, we have agreed that based off of my scan results that I will be starting my Vit. C treatments in the next couple weeks ..... I can't wait!

June 17th, 2010

Massage ... thank you Manuel!!!  Followed by coffee and catching up with a girlfriend.

June 18th - 20th, 2010

This weekend was filled with more pampering for myself ... last year I was a regular at the spa trying to make myself feel better and normal, this year I focused on the integrative medicine side of things and not pampering so I felt it was time to treat myself to an awesome pedicure and algae body wrap that was so cozy and relaxing, following by a late night movie.

On Saturday we had an awesome dinner at my co-workers house Wendy & Mike ... thanks for the great laughs and yummy steak dinner, it was a great night out.

Happy Father's Day dad!  My dad wasn't feeling the best so we kept it simply and went to the movies to see "Karate Kid" ... loved it!  It brought back so many childhood memories and I have always been a Karate Kid fan.  Will, Jada & Jaden did an awesome job on remaking the original.

June 23rd, 2010

Today I had a follow up with Dr. Alam to determine where I stand with treatments and to receive all of my scan results.  I wasn't nervous at all leading up to this day but upon arriving at the centre my stomach was in knots .... damn anxiety!  Well ..... the good news just kept coming!  My bone scan was all clear and even showed that the rib fracture I had was healing, brain CT .... clear, abdomen CT .... clear, pelvic CT .... clear, lung CT .... much improved!  The lung CT still showed abnormalities but since my February and April CT scan it showed that all the lymph nodes had reduced from 2cm - 1cm, abdominal lymph node decreased from over 2.3 - 1.5 x 1.2cm, can't really determine if they still see all the sand like nodules on my lung as those appeared to be clearing up as well as the nodule in my lung which has decreased from 0.99cm - 0.46cm!  AWESOME NEWS!!!!  Where does this leave me for treatment now .... they have suggested I do 2 more rounds of chemo, run another chest CT and determine if I should have 1 more.  From there they will decide if I am done treatments, will need a maintenance chemo, change my chemo regimen and the possibility of long-term alternative treatments.  You don't have to guess which one I am praying for???

This news was great to have especially since tonight was the Girls Night Out for our Dragon Boat team "Fight Like A Girl".  Thanks again to my dear friend Amy Britton (Britton Images Photography) for hosting another great evening filled with lots of goodies, prizes, raffles and great company!  Thank you to all who were able to come and show your support, it was very much appreciated.

June 25th, 2010

Zoladex shot .... I need to get a picture of the next one because I think this is a huge a$$ shot!

June 26th, 2010

Our first Dragon Boat practice which was a great success .... I think we have another winning team!

June 28th, 2010

Valentina's 31st b-day!  We had a chance to celebrate my BFF's b-day at Caldwell's Grant in Amhersturg .... great food, great fun, great laughs.  We were honored to celebrate this day with you Val!

Best way to end the month????  Another massage!

~sasha

No comments:

Post a Comment